Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/header.php on line 206 FINNJETweb Forums - Powered by XMB
FINNJETweb Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Finnjet II? (Superfast renamings)
K
Mate

Name: Kalle Id

exclamation.gif posted on 24-8-2006 at 10:44
Finnjet II? (Superfast renamings)

There was an article in today's Helsingin Sanomat about Finland-Germany ferry traffic, for which they had interviewed Antti Lagerroos of Finnlines and Keijo Mehtonen of Tallink. The article had little of interest except for this small ditty:

Mehtonen believes that the company can make use of the brand of Finnjet which used to traffic on the route.

(My slightly simplified translation).

This I guess would mean that the Superfasts would start trafficking under the Silja Line -brand and be renamed Finnjet I, II and III (or, one'd hope, II, III and IV). Or, Tallink might exhume the Finnjet Lines brand and maybe call the individual ships something else (that might be wishful thinking on my part).

I think we all agree that if Tallink wants to use Finnjet's brand, they should have bought the real ship in the first place.

Finnjet fan in the third generation and the author of Illustrated Carparks of Finland.
paularai
Mate

Name: Paul Byrne

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 10:57

Interesting but just a name unfortunately, now a modern new build with a take on the old Finnjet would be a different matter, im thinking along the lines of how the Queen Mary 2 was designed and built with a passing resemblance to the liners of the 1930's.

In essance a Superfast ship styled liked Finnjet

ISLAND MONKEY
K
Mate

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 11:31

Just a name but a very well known name in both Finland and Germany. (I've been saying that for ages and finally when someone gets it it's a Tallink exec who just wants to use the name and not the ship. Grr!).

Speaking of an "updated" take on the Finnjet a la QM2, I've actually been thinking up designs for that. Although I haven't put anything on paper (or computer) yet... and I've mainly concentrated on interior layout and decor since those are the things I'm mainly interested in.

Finnjet fan in the third generation and the author of Illustrated Carparks of Finland.
paularai
Mate

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 12:07

Is it going to be all orange as per Finnjet 1977?

My interest is more the exterior and machinery

ISLAND MONKEY
K
Mate

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 13:02

Of course it's going to be orange! Dark brown and orange is the best colour combination ever. But hey, we could combine forces on this, you could design the engines and other technical stuff and I could concentrate on the visual side.

Is it just me or are we going off topic here again?:P

Mathias
Captain
FINNJETweb.com

Name: Mathias Saken

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 14:21

Tallink obviously have money, don't they? :lol: Let's make up a plan for "FJET2" and send it to them, maybe they get interested.. No way of using turbines again though...
(maybe a special Paul-fart-propulsion meets the needs. :P)

However, to get back to this news, it is definately interesting to hear that Tallink gets interested in the name, there have been rumours about them having the Superfasts under Silja brand but nothing was said about Finnjet. At least in Germany Finnjet is still much better known than Silja Line (probably not in Finland..) so maybe they should have a "Silja Finnjet Line" or something as brand name and concentrate their marketing on the Silja part in Finland and on the Finnjet part in Germany. At least those names are definately known for quality and service, much more than Superfast or Tallink is.

I just hope they won't call the ships FInnjet really, since that's unique

Mathias Saken
- http://www.finnjetweb.com -

GTS FINNJET *1977, 2008
paularai
Mate

[*] posted on 25-8-2006 at 11:19

I would be interested in a design concept for a modern Finnjet, how could we do this?

ISLAND MONKEY
K
Mate

[*] posted on 25-8-2006 at 13:35

Well, theoretically all we'd need is to draw the designs on computer or paper and then share them with each other here or via e-mail... I guess we can't really get our hands on the programs real shipyards use to design their ships, those might be a bit costly.

Returning to the real piece of news, reportedly Tallink are strongly considering reflagging the Superfasts to Finland, as they'll have to raise the salaries to Finnish standards anyway and they've been having a hard time finding enough crew (plus Finnish flag also means financial support from the Finnish state, which is not to be underestimated).

paularai
Mate

[*] posted on 25-8-2006 at 15:37

Finnish crewing can only mean that Superfast will go from being expensive to phohibitively expensive.

Um still interested in design, maybe people gould hand draw something then scan it on. and between us modify and refine the design.

ISLAND MONKEY
K
Mate

[*] posted on 25-8-2006 at 19:11

Tallink made the agreement (I think we about this on the cruise) with Finnish Maritime Union to raise salaries on the Superfasts to Finnish levels in... was it four years? So anyway it should not have too much effect, especially as during the pre-Tallink era salaries on the Superfasts were already on the Finnish levels (as almost all crew emembers were FMU members, even if they weren't Finnish).

Regarding the design side, I think that sounds like a plan (although I don't have a scanner, but I can always either take photographs or draw on the computer). Maybe we should start a separate thread for "our" Finnjet II?

Salomon
Engineer

Name: Salomon Kaukiainen

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 21:51

When talking about the photo manipulations, an edit I'd really like to see would be a Superfast ship in Silja's Finnjet-livery, except "Finnjet" on the hull replaced with "Finndiesel". I could send that photo to Tallink as a protest if they really are considering using Finnjet-name in those ships...

I don't have any decent photo-editing program, or either the skills to get any good result, so it would be something for the more professional photo editors on the forum. ;)

I am the eggman!

After 4 days of drinking, English becomes an easy language
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
K
Mate

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 22:32

If anyone can get me a large-size picture of one of the Superfasts that I can use without breaking copyright, I'm game for it.

Salomon
Engineer

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 23:27

I could find only this one from my photo archives, it's a bit unsharp so I hope someone would have a better one?
http://koti.mbnet.fi/salomon/P1020326.JPG

I am the eggman!

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
K
Mate

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 23:46

You're right, it is a bit too blurred. But that aside, it's an excellent photo, lighting- and composition-wise.

Mathias
Captain
FINNJETweb.com

[*] posted on 21-10-2006 at 01:30

Considering the fact that Superfast Finland was actually joined together with SILJA Oyj Abp just recently, and the fact that I heard that the Superfasts might start Silja-service next year already, I made the following thing.... to implement the fact that they wanted to use Finnjet's name somehow, I added that in a familiar way ;)

http://www.finnjetweb.com/superfinnjet.JPG

Mathias Saken

GTS FINNJET *1977, 2008
K
Mate

[*] posted on 21-10-2006 at 03:50

Looks really good, even if it is raping the name.

If you replaced the "jet" part with "diesel" that would be quite perfect for Salomon's protest-picture.

Also on the subject of the Silja/Tallink Finland/Superfast merger... it will be interesting to see what becomes of the Autoexpresses and Galaxy in the long run; they're all marketed on Silja's website as a part of the Silja Line fleet, it might very well be that it will soon read "Tallink Silja Line" on their sides.

Finally, it's Silja Oyj Abp, you forgot the j. Or actually it should change to Oy Ab anyway now as the company isn't publicly listed anymore (that is, if I understand these things correctly).

Mathias
Captain
FINNJETweb.com

[*] posted on 21-10-2006 at 16:08

how about this one then?

Mathias has attached this image:
superfinndiesel.JPG - 13.11kb

Mathias Saken

GTS FINNJET *1977, 2008
K
Mate

[*] posted on 22-10-2006 at 00:49

Brilliant! Five thumbs up for the picture!

paularai
Mate

[*] posted on 22-10-2006 at 14:15

I have to say those are fantastic impressions you have made, Mathias!

somehow that colour scheme really works.

And kalle i can only assume Finland is the only country selling gloves for five thumbed people?

I was thinking the other day what it might have looked like if Finnjet had a sister, it would be interesting to make up an imaginary picture of the two of them togeather, say in Helsinki or better still passing each other at speed at sea. Can you imagine closing in on each other at well over 100km/h. the captains would hardly have time to flash lights at each other, a la Symphony/Serenade.

ISLAND MONKEY
Mathias
Captain
FINNJETweb.com

[*] posted on 22-10-2006 at 19:37

considering Silja's trend to blue Funnels, here another amendment

Mathias has attached this image:
superfinndiesel_blue.JPG - 13.2kb

Mathias Saken

GTS FINNJET *1977, 2008
paularai
Mate

[*] posted on 23-10-2006 at 08:38

Think i prefer the white funnel!

I know the scheme is deeply unpopular with you guys, but what about an old school scheme where the Seal logo is on the hull?

I like the blue stripes just ahead of the funnel, very reminisant of Finnjet just behind the container opening, perhaps they could lengthen these like what was done on Finnjet in 1986. obviousy not too long or thats 2 useless lifeboats in the even of a Mr Skylight 1 & 2:shock2:

incidently, who said that they might rebrand these ships in Silja classes? do they have to remove the Superfast name in any event, i guess the Tallink logo would probably be the most likely?

ISLAND MONKEY
Mathias
Captain
FINNJETweb.com

[*] posted on 23-10-2006 at 11:48

I think it depends how great Tallink think of themselves they are... from a logical point of view, the Silja brand on the Superfast ships makes more sense due to the Silja link Germany-Finland for many years. Nobody knows Tallink in Germany.

Or then they start a new brand for that, but why should they..?

And yes, a contract between Tallink and the Attica Group limits the use of the Superfast brand until 31.12.2007.

Mathias Saken

GTS FINNJET *1977, 2008
Salomon
Engineer

[*] posted on 23-10-2006 at 12:44

I also need 5-thumb gloves for Mathias' editing! ;)

Like Mathias said Silja is so much better known in Central Europe and Finland that it would make no sense to replace Superfast brand with Tallink's name.
This is also suggested by the comment of Tallink Finland's CEO who said they want to use Silja's famous Finnjet-brand on their Germany-traffic. Also Superfast's Finnish sale organization is merged to Silja starting 1st of December.

btw. Tallink/Silja also needs to remove the "winglets" from the funnels of Superfast ships, as it's their own trademark. Like it was done on ex. Superfast I: http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/eurostar_roma_1995_b_2.htm

I am the eggman!

K
Mate

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 01:00

Put me on the list of people preferring the white funnel.

Also for Paul's suggestion of the seal in the hull, it wouldn't look nearly as bad on the Superfasts I think, as they haven't got so many windows on the hull that would "break up" the seal.

Going down the road of better known brands, it would ultimately make sense for Tallink to put all of their newer ships under Silja's brand, especially as Tallink doesn't have a particularly good repurtation here. That said, it's never going to happen even if it would make sense. But with the Sueprfasts it does seem highly likely they'll become Silja ships... or maybe like Mathias said a completely new brand will be established. Or like I suggested in the first post, the old Finnjet Line brand brought back into use.

paularai
Mate

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 11:03

I would think the brand name "Finnjet Lines" would remain the property of Sea Containers, unless part of deal with the sale of Silja to Tallink?

Unless of course Silja never had the brand name in 1986.

ISLAND MONKEY
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top

FINNJETweb.com Forums