Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/header.php on line 206 FINNJETweb Forums - Powered by XMB
FINNJETweb Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346 Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/np7985/domains/siljaweb.com/public_html/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 346
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Finnjet 2?
O. Littunen
Seaman

Name: Jussi Littunen

question.gif posted on 31-3-2009 at 15:03
Finnjet 2?

If you haven`t heard yet, finnish entrepreneur Toivo Sukari has planed of building an exact copy of Titanic next to his newest shopping centre. ( Article in Finnish. It wouldn`t be a swimming one) I remember that somewhere on the net was thrown an idea of building a replica of Finnjet, especially for museum purposes. But why couldn`t they also use "Finnjet 2" for real cruising?

Even though they didn`t manage to save Finnjet last summer, maybe in 10-25 years history of Finnjet would "begin to live" again. (As we remember, most people really wanted to save her only for historical reasons.) How about if some sociaty would build a replica of Finnjet after some years? Would it be financially profitable? Replica would only be externally (and for passengers) exactly like Finnjet, the engines and techic would of course be modern, to avoid large fuel costs which were the major problems of "Finnjet I". During the summer that ship would operate somehow like original Finnjet, and after profitable season she would act as a museum ship in Kotka or in Turku, and perhaps also as a hotel.

Have you ever thought about this or is this only a very crazy idea? I don`t mean that only 1 or 2 years after scrapping a new Finnjet should be built, but as I mentioned maybe after some years the history of Finnjet will be so interesting that a replica would be a good idea, and as we all know Finnjet was one of the most famous and futuristic Finnish passenger ship.

Without any opinions and conversation there wouldn`t be any internet forums! ;)
K
Mate

Name: Kalle Id

[*] posted on 1-4-2009 at 21:01

I believe this was already discussed once before here in the forums (although one of the main participants was that guy who later deleted all his posts). The problem with building a copy of Finnjet for service is that the construction of the original Jetti does not fill various current regulations for construction of new ships. Various external and internal changes would have to be implemented to the new ship, which would mean that the new "replica" would be too different from the original to serve an actual purpose as a replica.

Finnjet fan in the third generation and the author of Illustrated Carparks of Finland.
O. Littunen
Seaman

Name: Jussi Littunen

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 13:49

Maybe it was an this forum where I read the idea of "Finnjet 2".

Ok so we couldn`t call it a replica anymore. Seems that only the original ship is authentic enough to be use as a museum ship, maybe Finnjet 2 could only have externally identical shape, otherwise the ship would be a totally new construction. If we forget all about the museum purposes, maybe after (many) years could be built a ship which would have same kind of interiors like Finnjet had (I assume the interior materials that were renewed in 2004 were agreeing with new SOLAS 2010 regulations) but all the faults that Finnjet had (for example high fuel consumption) would be improved.

I`m just thinking if that kind of ship would be attractive to passengers just becouse many people remember Finnjet now as " The Grand old Lady". Another question is, would ordinary passengers remember Finnjet after 10-20 years after her scrapping.
K
Mate

Name: Kalle Id

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 18:55

Quote:
Originally posted by O. Littunen
maybe Finnjet 2 could only have externally identical shape, otherwise the ship would be a totally new construction.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to even build an externally identical ship and still have it fullfill the current (not to mention potential future) SOLAS regulations. For instance the current rules on lifeboat placement specify that lifeboats must be placed no higher than 15 meters from the waterline - no such a rule was in effect in 1977. I'm not 100% certain how high Jetti's lifeboats were placed (they could be just within the limits). But then again I'm not aware of all SOLAS regulations; there could be others that would have similarly drastic effects on the ship's external appearance.

Finnjet fan in the third generation and the author of Illustrated Carparks of Finland.
Mathias
Captain
FINNJETweb.com

Name: Mathias Saken

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 19:28

Kalle points out one major issue, SOLAS regulations. Finnjet's lifeboats were about 25 meters above sea level, way too high for today's rules. Apart from that the whole idea of Finnjet would not work anymore today, the question is in how far keeping the shape would be in any way feasible for a ship type of these times, so either a cruise ship or a RoPax ferry or whatever. I think as a cruise ship Finnjet's shape is not attractive at all for the majority of people even though we might be in love with her design.

I assume that if we will ever see something like a Finnjet II, then it would probably have to be a ship that adapts some design elements and develops them further into today's interpretation of the idea. Ideally this kind of ship would need to be similarly revolutionistic in its whole concept as Finnjet was but I guess that it will take some years before we can even think of such plans.

In my opinion a 1:1 replica is quite impossible and I don't actually know of any case when a ship of this size was rebuilt exactly in the same way (designwise) 30 years later than the original, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I don't loose the feeling that this wouldn't even be nice, Finnjet is unique and there should never be a replica of it I think.

Mathias Saken
- http://www.finnjetweb.com -

GTS FINNJET *1977, 2008
paularai
Mate

Name: Paul Byrne

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 19:53

On the subject of lifeboat placement there are notible exception, ie QM2 where the company sought exemption from the height restrictions, in this case based on experience from QE2 that on a number of occasions has experienced waves of 30 meters. (see book on building for more info).

ISLAND MONKEY
xhming
Pilot

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 02:04
wholesale electronics

e of cell carrier deck the anonymous caller uses A promotion area of gadgets whoLesale nd all this information can be had by paying a sma electronics wholesale Good, i agree with it. I think i read a good thread and good forums. I will let more friends know it.
meteor123
Pilot

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 10:19

as the ability to change themselves LED tube light and others fate, sh Refrigeration Accessories e made a none miserly, people LED lights love her generosity, even beyond

Go To Top

FINNJETweb.com Forums